Skip to content
How to Prepare a Handwriting Sample
- Use only a ball-point pen. Do not use a felt tip pen or a pencil.
- Use an 8 1⁄2” x 11” unlined paper. Place a few sheets underneath.
- Write about any topic you wish. If you cannot think of a topic, answer to the question, “What is your ideal life?” or “How would you like to spend your weekend?”
- Make sure to include the personal pronoun “I”. (ex: “I would like to…”)
- Do not copy from a book, magazine or even your own writing. Write naturally and spontaneously. Neatness is not necessarily a positive or negative sign.
- Do not write after or while using alcohol, drugs, or heavy medications.
- If you customarily print, please include at least a paragraph of cursive writing (even though you have not done so in years.)
- Include your signature at the end.
- Provide the following information in print on the back of the paper:
- Full Name
- Age (or approximate age)
- R or L (Right or Left handed)